I don't like answering my own questions, but here it goes.
- The maximum length for questions is currently 150, which is too long in my opinion, but since it's been reduced recently I suppose it's better not to change it (now).
- I propose we should encourage the OPs to changes their titles. Of course we can suggest possible improvements.
The remained is a proposal for improving titles (not just titles that are too long). I decided to use a format where I list a typical title, a reason why I think the title is poor, and a proposal to improve the title. In the list I've tried to use recent titles, hoping this shows relevance.
The proposal is by no means complete. Please add to the list if you have more ideas. Hopefully, this exercise will result in a list of "error patterns" that we can use to improve subject titles. Also the reasons in the list may help to convince the OP they should change their titles.
When adding items to a list, always add them to the end of the list. Otherwise, you may src*w up the numbers.
- How do I colour
<X> in red? This title is too specific. If we don't change this title we end up with all possible variations for different colours. A better title would be How do I change the colour of
- How do I draw a circle? In this case it turns out the OP want to draw the circle with a certain package (
pstricks). Here the question isn' specific enough. I propose we add the name of the package to the start of the title:
tikz: How do I draw a circle? Even better:
tikz: Drawing a circle. (See the next item.) If there are several packages/classes, I propose to list them in alphabetic order, using forward slashes as a separator:
tikz: Drawing a circle. I also propose to use similar titles for engine-specific questions. For example,
pdflatex: creating hyperlinks. An alternative solution would be to rely on the tag and omit the reference to the engine.
- Is there a way to configure pdflatex to make all but the .tex and .pdf files hidden files? This question is too long. I propose to make a change along the following lines:
pdflatex: Hiding all files, except for the .tex and .pdf files. Note that I decided to get rid of the question mark because the title is now the topic of the post.
- How can I make a set of latex flashcards that I can print to write my answers on one side? This question is redundant because it's clear the flashcards should be printed. Proposed solution: Flashcards with answers on one side. If the OP intended the flash card to be single-sided a better solution would be Single-sided flashcards.
- How to X?_ Another example of redundancy. Just write X or equivalent. For example, How to implement the Russian typographical traditions? -> Implementing Russian typograpical traditions.
- Problem with Minion Pro. This title isn't specific enough. In my opinion reading the tile should give some idea about the nature of the problem. As it turns out the OP had a problem with Th ligatures after a period. I propose: Minion Pro: Problem with
Th ligature after period.
I know some may find this list a bit OTT. Personally, I think that a good title is just as important as a MWE because it helps the reader save time.
No doubt the list is incomplete (and indeed redundant). I decided to start writing the list because I needed a break from marking assignments.:-)
As stated before, feel free to add to the list.