I'm a graduate student in planetary science. My primary areas of interest are scientific computing, magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) and software engineering. I've studied the Sun by running massively parallel simulations and analyzing the results. I currently study the MHD of Saturn's thermosphere.
I have been programming for many years. I may not be in a position to be able to answer a lot at this time, but I can still contribute by voting up/down and/or modifying others' answers! :-)
Areas of interest are listed below, in descending order of familiarity.
Operating System Experience:
- Mac OS X
- Linux (generic)
- Windows XP and later (limited)
- Supercomputing environments (generic, limited)
- TI OS (TI-84+) :-)
- zOS (IBM mainframes, limited)
Programming Language Experience
- Fortran (90 and later)
- MATLAB / Octave
- BASH scripting
- HTML5, PHP (limited experience)
- [I am familiar with several others.]
- Makefile scripting
- CSS (limited)
Experience by Topic
- Fourier Transforms (FFTW, (D)FFTPACK5.1, MATLAB), though less so when it comes to signal analysis applications
- Finite difference methods (ordinary, combined-compact, uniform or nonuniform grids)
- Spectral transform and psuedospectral methods for solving partial differential equations
- General numerical analysis
- Plasma physics
- Solar physics
- OpenGL (very limited)
Top Network Posts
- 25Should I hold the same writing standards for international students as I do for domestic students?
- 22How to move from makeindex to xindy?
- 13Why is it required for Test Administrators and Proctors to constantly walk around the room during testing?
- 12Diplomatic Consequences of Events in Endless Space
- 11How to deal with people looking at their mobile phone during my presentation?
- 11Color CV vs black and white CV
- 11How to call UMFPACK as MATLAB does?
- View more network posts →